Gear cutter is a mechanical tool or machine used for the fabrication of gear wheels to cut the teeth in the wheels. These cutters are ideal for both dry machining and wet cutting processes.
- There are two types of spindles: cutter spindle and work spindles. Both the spindles are fixed directly to the column of the machine.
- The cutter spindle is hinged to create the root angle instead of installing the work spindle on a rotating base.
- The machine is gives maximum thermal stability.
- Increased torque and higher acceleration or deceleration rates are combined with shorter, faster axis motions, which reduce non-cutting time between cycles thereby increases overall productivity during machining.
Gear Cutters are of the following types:
- Rack Cutter
- Hub Cutter
- Internal Gear Shaper Cutters
- Involute Gear Cutters
- Disk Cutter
Some of the specifications, which has to be considered for gear cutters are:
- Cutter Diameter
- No. of Cutter
- Gear Type
- Pitch Diameter
- Module pitch
- Pressure angle
Some of the purposes for which the Gear Cutters can be used are:
- Machine Cutting
- Wire EDM